If you are not able to automatically update your installation of Avira Free Antivirus to the latest virus definitions for any reason, then don’t worry. It is still very easy to update it manually. Using this method, you can also update Avira Antivirus on such a computer which is not directly connected to the internet. To update, just follow the simple steps given below:
- Go to Avira’s official website and there click on the “More about VDF” link in the “Latest VDF Status” block present in almost center of the page as shown in the following screen shot.
- On the next page, you will find different software of avira listed in separate sections. Find the name of your software i.e. “Avira Free Antivirus” in one of these sections and download the VDF (Virus Definition File) by clicking on the download link given in that section as shown below.
- Save this file on your computer in a location which you can remember. You will need it shortly.
- If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7 then it might bring up a warning like “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer”. If it does, click “Yes”.
- Then an “Open” dialog box will appear. Select the .zip file you just downloaded from avira’s website in this dialog box and click “Open”. Now, update process will start and hopefully complete successfully in a few minutes.
And … you are done! 🙂 Note:If you want to update Avira Free Antivirus on such a computer which does not has direct internet access then download the VDF using some other source such as a friend’s computer, internet cafe, university lab etc. and bring it to that computer in some portable storage medium such as a USB flash drive and use it to update your anti virus.